Sunday, October 19, 2014

Decarbonziing Your Engine with Water with Ericthecarguy

I was like a child again after I did this to my 1999 Chevy Prizm with all the jumping up and down I did as I told my neighbor, and then my wife, and then the internet. I had just taken care of my fuel injectors - at least one was very leaky, but that cylinder was still 5-7 degrees hotter than the other cylinders. For a bit I was thinking and growling, did I spend too little? I actually diagnosed that the fuel injector was bad, right? Of course I did!

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos about different engine clean up chemicals while I considered removing my engine's cylinder head. I read a lot of MSDS on those cleaners and found which ones did more cleaning by their ingredients. (Note: Ericthecarguy's review on Gumout Regane? Had more PEA or what actually does the cleaning, about 2-3 times as much as The Scotty Kilmer review on Gumout Multi-System fuel cleaner...though that also protects you from Ethanol. It turns out that some cleaners have quite approximate values for the cleaner with a range of percentage.)

I digress. I tried a spray water bottle. Knowing how I fried my MAF not waiting to run it for long enough after cleaning it with MAF cleaner, I didn't want to spray the water in pre-maf.

I also didn't want a CEL over my MAF not being involved. So I finally opted to use a tube that takes blow by gases to my intake right before the throttle. (For more about MAF go to Schrodingers Box MAF diagnosis reaction blog)

For 10-15 minutes I sprayed water in there (engine was already warmed up to a normal operating temperature), when the engine started to struggle a little, I kept the RPM up a bit until it cleared.

When I was done, the temperature on all the cylinders were the same! No more super carbon on one from the leaky injector!

Sure it wasn't a dyno, but I used my Torque App - which calculates everything accurately if you have give it the right values (weight of the car plus me for example). I went from 109 to 114 wheel horse power!

The engine was so SMOOTH. I checked my oil after this, it was due, for my car at 5,500 miles, but I had to change it 500 miles early because of all the crap I knocked out of the engine. So I recommend doing this before an oil change because of the filth and because there was probably some water in the oil after this.

My water bottle was filled just above the 21 oz. fill line and afterward I couldn't even tell how much water I had used because it looked like it was in about the same spot.

After the test drive, I rechecked the cylinder temperatures (or as close as I could get to them on my metal intake*) and all the cylinders were still the same temperature.

My car didn't complain about any knock that I know of, but that cylinder was hot enough that it may have been getting ignition a little early so my timing was retarded, or possibly I just stopped that cylinder from putting out extra power over the other cylinders.

Final consequence: I could hear my engine wasn't quite even in spark. I rechecked the gap on my iridium spark plugs and steamy water had changed their gap. This may not always happen, it only threw one spark plug gap off.

I've made my own video now too!



Check out my latest article about fuel injector cleaners and another YouTube channel that's really putting it to the test! Does Techron Concentrate Plus really work? Or another upgrade entirely that really smoothed out my engine: grounding wire upgrades.

*my metal intake has air in between each tube so I didn't feel the need to take off my exhaust shield and check engine temperatures there

by AutoBravado